How to Automatically Assign Roles in Oracle Fusion
Let’s face it – everyone loves a shortcut. We all want to find ways to make our jobs a little easier, simpler, and a lot more efficient. Oracle Fusion provides several ways to enter user information. Manually, of course, which is fine for entering a few users at a time, and by using spreadsheets, where one can upload many more users at one time. I’ll save that topic for another blog.
For now, I want to focus on a discovery I made during a Fusion Implementation that I recently worked on. During this time, I discovered a way to make the employee/user setups a lot easier. Instead of logging into the Oracle Identity Manager (OIM) separately to add the same roles to every user I setup, I found that I could set up a Role Provisioning rule. This could be used on the same screen used to setup my users!
Although these Role Provisioning rules can be set up in a variety of ways, the following blog will show you how to setup a rule that will automatically assign the role to the user account you have created.
This blog will walk you through the steps to:
- Setup Role Provisioning rules
- Manually create a user and automatically assign roles to the new user
By automatically assigning roles in Fusion, you can save time and energy and a lot of unnecessary steps.
How to Set Up Auto-Provisioning Rules in Oracle Fusion
- Login to the Fusion Application as a user that has access to “Manage HCM Role Provisioning Rules“
- Navigate to Settings and Actions > Administration > Setup and Maintenance
3. Search for task = Manage HCM Role Provisioning Rules
4. Click the Go to Task
icon in the Search Results section
5. On the Manage Role Mappings
page, click on Actions > Create
- Add a Mapping Name, and enter a From Date that extends far enough back to cover the earliest hire dates for employees – 1/1/1950 usually works
7. In the Conditions
section, set the System Person Type
: As you can see by all of the possible conditions listed, you can get as specific or general as needed, depending upon your particular requirements.
- In the Associated Roles section, add the roles that should be on the list to be added to the employee/user on the Add Role screen A. Press the “Add Row” icon
B. Select a Role Name
from the drop down list
C. Select “Autoprovision”
D. Press the Save and Close
: Each of these roles can be marked as “Requestable”, “Self-Requestable,” and/or “Autoprovision.” Any roles marked “Autoprovision” will be automatically assigned to any employee created. Any roles marked “Requestable” will be available in the List of Values (LOV) on the Add Role screen. You have the flexibility to setup various types of rules that can be used not only by you the administrator, but by end-users as well. The possibilities are endless!
How to use Auto-Provisioning Rules to Automatically add Roles in Oracle Fusion
To manually create a new user and use auto-provision roles, follow these steps:
- Click the Manage Users link
2. Click on the Create
3. Click in the Last Name
Enter the Last Name.
4. Click in the First Name
Enter the First Name.
5. Click in the E-mail
Enter the email address.
6. Click in the Hire Date
Enter the hire date.
7. Click in the User Name
Enter the username per your organization’s naming convention.
8. User Notification Preferences
section – click the Send User Name and password
9. Employment Information
– click the Person Type
10. Click in the Legal Employer
Enter the Legal Employer for this employee.
11. Click in the Business Unit
Enter the appropriate Business Unit.
12. Add any additional employment information required by your organization.
13. Click the Auto-Provision Roles
Note that the following roles were automatically added to this new user:
14. Click the Save and Close
button at the top of the screen
Voilá! You have now successfully entered a new user and automatically assigned roles to that user all on the same screen!